I don’t know why, but I seem to be stuck on the thought of ‘sowing’. These are the thoughts that have been going round and round in my head…
- One sows to get a harvest.
- A harvest furnishes food to satisfy the hungry and provides seed for future harvests. (At least it used to provide seed for future harvests in the pre-GM days.)
- If one wants to maximise yields one must prepare the soil well at the right time to receive the seed.
- One sows seed according to the harvest one wants to reap.
- In the parable of the sower, the seed symbolises the Word of God, and the soil is symbolic of the attitude of the heart.
- The seed of the Word of God brings forth the fruit of righteousness.
- What is righteousness? After a lot of pondering, I have defined it as the ability to keep covenant, or in other words: the ability to deal with honesty, integrity, mercy, grace, faithfulness and fairness with God, self and others. (That’s my understanding. If you have a better definition or different definition, please do share, as I am trying to sharpen my understanding of this.)
- Righteousness is the seed our lives produce when sown with the Word of God… seed that is sown into the lives of other people in words and actions… widening ripples of grace, truth and mercy…
You shall not sow your vineyard with two kinds of seed,
lest the whole yield be forfeited,
the crop that you have sown and the yield of the vineyard.
… those who plow iniquity and sow trouble reap the same.
Whoever sows injustice will reap calamity…
Sow for yourselves righteousness;
reap steadfast love/mercy;
break up your fallow ground,
for it is the time to seek the LORD,
that he may come and rain righteousness upon you.
For the one who sows to his own flesh
will from the flesh reap corruption,
but the one who sows to the Spirit
will from the Spirit reap eternal life.”
Deut 22:9, Job 4:8, Pro 22:8, Hos 10:12, Gal 6:8
I have placed these verses exactly in the order of their appearance in the Bible. Various writers, separated by centuries, and yet, they bring forth a coherent, continuous message.
- The Seed of the Word of God brings forth the seed of righteousness, filling the barns with the steadfast love of the Lord. THAT finally is the harvest we reap – the steadfast love and mercy of the Lord.